Thursday 16 August 2018

Researching Firsts

Our latest topic in English is 'Researching Firsts'. We had to chose a question that related to being the first in something eg: who was the first musician?, who was the first person to fly in an air plane?, who was the first to invent ice cream? 

My question is: Who first invented makeup? And who was the first to wear it?

I chose this topic because makeup is a big part of today's society and people have so many different opinions on it, some people think that it’s an art form, some think that it’s only for covering up insecurity and some think that it’s bad and nobody should wear it because it’s unnatural. I want to know who invented it and why? Did they use it for rituals or something religious? Was it just to look pretty or was there a deeper meaning?

When we were researching we were told to use information that we found from previous searches to widen our search range. So when I started searching I put in key words (makeup, history, Egypt) to try and find the earliest evidence of makeup, after I looked at a few different websites from that search I'd use different key words from interesting pieces of information that I found and continue trying to research them. I did find that I didn't know what websites were trustworthy and which ones had correct information so I think that that's my next step.


Google search combinations:
Image of Results:
Example of a site which was useful that I found in this search:
egyptians makeup
What was the first makeup brand?
Makeup egypt male
Egypt makeup ores


Since were also researching in Global Studies we were asked to compared the different ways of researching in the classes. In Global we have a more specific topic so we do a lot more searching for websites that we can trust, I use books from the library that related directly to my topic, I look at websites with correct stats and quotes but in English it's a bit different. I look more at trying to gather as much information as possible so that my doc can have a wide range of stuff to look at and I'm always trying to look at websites that help me to go further into depth.











1 comment:

  1. What an interesting topic Nina! I have been looking back through our old Room 11 blog. Some of the posts are very funny and reading your personal blogs are so cool! What a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.